HOMER'WINDMILL At the very top of the village stands the windmill, built on solid rock above three flat areas which once were threshing floors, and prove the importance of wheat in the valley now given over to vines. The economy of the village then depended on grain, sheep, goats and some vines. The windmill was first mentioned in documents dated 1692, and belonged to the feudal lord until the Revolution of 1789. It was described as being in ruins in 1838. Both the building and the milling mechanism were restored to working order in 2003. Since 2006, Cucugnan again [...]
About Service de Communication Mairie de CucugnanThis author has not yet filled in any details.
So far Service de Communication Mairie de Cucugnan has created 5 blog entries.
The church saint Julien and sainte Basilissa The first documentary mention of the church dates from 1360. The church is dedicated to Saint Julien and Saint Basilissa, two eastern martyrs, which suggests that the religious foundation dates back to ancient times. Until the nineteenth century the church stood at the top of the hill, above the rest of the village, within the fortifications of the castrum. It was battered by all winds and foul weather, and became dangerous to worshippers. It was therefore pulled down around 1860, and rebuilt on its present site. With its tower surmounted by an [...]